Friday, August 27, 2010

Other peoples posts

HI guys, I was reading these posts and thought about what our students want from their particular path of study, I'm sure there are a number out there who want a qualification and some type of career progression, and with the talks of Vet nursing being regulated and having a professional body (may be a while away yet) then there will be more opportunity for students to do just that. but I am sure there are a few who go into the programs for other reasons. I am reminded of a colleague of mine from another life who said he went into Psychiatric Nursing so he would know the signs to look out for if he was 'going mad'. I though about my reasons to do vet nursing and I did want the qualification but I also wanted to know what to do if my animals got sick and how to keep them healthy. I have had some discussion with students who already work in the animal industry and they talk about wanting to know how to deal with XYZ but not necessary wanting to be nurses. I wonder if some research into why students come into courses would help us to provide them with what they want, Gill and I have had discussions about what if students could just do the units that were of interest to them or work through the requirements for a qualification as and when they liked? It would be a logistical nightmare and hard with unit standards but offering short courses epecifically for things like first aid, animal nutrition caring for large/production animals and behaviour units, might be of interest to those who don't want a qulification.




enough rambling!

No comments:

Post a Comment