Wednesday, November 10, 2010

a couple of comments from colleagues on the Constructing Courses forum

Yes Audrey, sometimes the obvious sticks out like dog's balls.... seriously, a great posting and some great ideas!
Cheers, Terry


Hi Audrey
Had to respond to this one as it did put a smile on my face. I love your idea of videos but also wondered , for the distance learners that would not have a closely observed "hands on session", whether models were available for practice or that the student was able, in return video a session to show evidence of completing this task - also as something to watch/use for revision after a class review. I am not a vet but being a kinaesthetic learner. I value feedback on actual tasks completed. A recent one for me was clipping the our goats' hooves but getting a good neighbour to advise if I was doing this correctly.Hope this contributes!


And my reply

Thanks Hilary, glad it made you smile.
I think you have hit the nail on the head, this resource is definitely aimed at our distance students, we have struggled for some time on how to assess they have grasped how seriously they need to take this procedure, because if they get it wrong a perforated bowel is just one thing of a range than can happen. As a school we do a lot of video assessing and it is planned for next year that students do more to show skill as well as knowledge, unfortunately videoing this task still falls outside what we can expect students to physically do (because of the risks). You are right about models and we do have a number of options open to us, but these would be class based, so not really useful for distance because we couldn't lend them out to 200 students in the time frame needed (and I don't think it would be right to ask them to buy expensive equipment).

I do think you are spot on with the feedback and I think that would be the next part of this process, I envisage they would look at notes, videos, and other resources then have a go under supervision at a clinic (where I suppose they could video it for us), and perhaps something like the moodle lesson tool could be used with real photos showing the right and wrong way to do it and giving feedback on achievement. Wouldn't it be marvelous if I could get a video that they could manipulate like a flight simulator to get right on target?

No comments:

Post a Comment