Friday, November 5, 2010

The nitty gritty


YES YOU ARE RIGHT IT IS A DOGS BUTT!

I chose to show you this picture because I have talked a lot about why I want to do something and why it's important but I think now is the time to get to the sharp end of just what it is I plan to do.

this picture is of my dog Fin so I feel happy that I won't upset anybody by showing their dog in a compromising position. This picture demonstrates that although most people know that taking a dog's temperature involves going somewhere near this end as a trainee veterinary nurse we expect our students to be able to take a dogs temperature after giving them minimal instruction. Our full time students get to see and potentially practice the procedure, but distance students are given written instructions and are instructed to find videos from the likes of youtube. This worries me a lot, there is a lot that can go wrong and a lot of damage can be done to an animal if it's not done right.  Also students are asked to demonstrate the skill at the second block course (after only 4 days face to face earlier in the year), and I think this greatly disadvantages the distance students.

I decided after a lot of talking with students and colleagues that the best way to help our distance students was to provide them with the correct information via a video format, showing the best practice for this procedure (and a few other) that they can refer to asynchronously (when they like), and can watch repeatedly. I think this will enhance their skills, reduce their anxiety at assessment and reduce the likelihood that they will try out the procedure inaccurately and hurt an animal.

The utilisation of videos is something I feel confident in doing, I have recently had a lot of tuition in how to make videos from still and video footage, and have found out how to use movie maker and audacity, both great programs that give quite a polished result. if you are thinking of using this method, my advice (after  a lot of trial and error) would be to make a soundless recording and dub the voice over, that way you avoid lots of editing later because I always make boobs.

The making of the videos will require more than myself, I have made the taking temperature one and it went well, but it required a person to restrain the dog and a person to video me taking his temperature, so it is very reliant on manpower. other lecturers are planning similar resources for students so I expect I will reciprocate their time.

I have found the department well supplied with talent when it comes to making different resources, there is always somebody to give me advice and shows me new ways of working (which is good because I'm not the best with computer software) so it makes sense that I help them out with videoing, which I'm really good at., or at least don't get shaky pictures.

Once these videos are completed I plan to make them available through the moodle on-line environment, and that's where I come unstuck. I don't have a clue how to transfer anything to moodle, or even how to compress the files so they load quicker. I will definitely be looking for help here, and as luck has it we have a moodle champion right here! phew!

So in a nutshell, I am happy making the videos, need help to make them in terms of manpower and time out of marking, planning for next year and some training on using moodle and how to make files usable.

I will show you a much better photo when I get the thermometer in there, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment